FHN is a trusted provider of healthcare, a good neighbor and a great place to work. We're not the only ones who think so. In the past five years, FHN has been the recipient of a number of awards, including:
In 2012, FHN Memorial Hospital was ranked among the top 3 hospitals in the state for safety by the world's largest, completely independent, non-profit product-and service-testing organization. This was the first time Consumer Reports rated healthcare organizations, and as you'll see below, we've been among their honorees every year since.
In 2013, the same organization rated FHN Memorial Hospital among the top four in the state for safety, and ranked us among the top 20 percent in the state for surgical capability.
Also in 2013, FHN received an "A" grade from the Leapfrog Group for patient safety through its Hospital Safety ScoreSM, the grades assigned to U.S. hospitals based on preventable medical errors, injuries, accidents, and infections.
The Leapfrog Group is a national, not-for-profit organization founded by the nation's leading employers and private healthcare experts to advance the safety, quality, and affordability of healthcare in the United States. The group focuses on measuring and publicly reporting hospital performance through the annual Leapfrog Hospital Survey, a trusted, transparent, and evidence-based national tool in which more than 1,300 hospitals voluntarily participate free of charge.
The Leapfrog Group awarded FHN another "A" for patient safety in 2014.
Consumer Reports named FHN Memorial Hospital among its top 10 safest hospitals in Illinois in 2014.
In 2014, Castle Connolly named two FHN physicians to its America's Top Doctors® list: infectious disease specialist Robert Geller, MD, MS, FACP, FIDSA; and otolaryngologist Toni Levine, MD, FACS.
Castle Connolly is considered America's trusted source for identifying Top Doctors and has been recognized by several national media sources including The New York Times, USA Today, Good Housekeeping, Redbook, Town & Country, Ladies Home Journal, Good Morning America, the Today Show, 20/20 and more than 100 other television and radio stations.
Physicians do not (in fact, cannot) pay to be included in the Castle Connolly list. The physicians included in America's Top Doctors were nominated by their peers in an extensive survey process of thousands of American doctors each year. Each doctor's medical education, training, hospital appointments and more is screened by the Castle Connolly physician-led research team. The doctors who are among the very best in their specialties and in their communities are selected for inclusion.
Also in 2014, the Fresh Inspirations Cafe at FHN Memorial Hospital was the first healthcare location in the nation to earn a Silver Certification in Sodexo's Mindful program. To achieve certification, a cafe must meet all the criteria in the category, from providing low-fat options and healthy meal combinations to labeling each cafe item with calories per serving as sold and offering a greater variety of whole and sliced fruits.
In 2015, 11 FHN physicians are listed among Castle Connolly's America's Top Doctors® list:
- Surgeon Barry Barnes MD, FACS
- Surgeon Rafael Castro MD, FACS, WCC
- Infectious Disease Specialist Robert Geller MD, MS, FACP, FIDSA
- Ob/Gyn Specialist Nicolai Hinds MD, FACOG
- Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Specialist Timothy Jessen MD
- Cardiologist Prasad Kilaru MD, FSCAI, FACC
- Otolaryngologist Toni Levine MD, FACS
- Gastroenterologist Vivek Mehta MD
- Cardiologist Bhadresh Patel MD, FACC, FACP
- Family Practice Physician Jeffrey Schleich MD
- Family Practice Physician Michael McFadden MD
Previous awards for FHN include:
- 100 Top Hospitals® by Thomson Healthcare - 2008
- VHA Leadership Award for Clinical Excellence in Cardiac Care
- Employer of Choice
- Illinois Employer of the Year
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Leadership Award
- AARP "best employers for workers over 50"
- Working Mother magazine – Top 100 companies in America for working mothers
- Lincoln Award for Business Excellence, Level II